Aid for Veterans

Shelby Hills and Danya Venegas are your School Certifying Officials. They will provide assistance in determining your educational benefits and how to access them.

Shelby Hills
School Certifying Official

Danya Venegas
School Certifying Official

  1. Apply for Veterans Educational Assistance
    • It may take 6-8 weeks from when you apply until assistance is available so apply as soon as possible.

  2. Provide your SCO the following documents:
    • DD-214 Member 4 Form or NOBE
    • Certificate of Eligibility (available after your veteran’s educational benefits application has been processed)
    • Enrollment Certification Request (available from your SCO)
  1. Notify your SCO once you have registered for classes (do this each semester) so your certification can be submitted to the VA for processing.

  2. Notify your SCO of any changes to your schedule (adds, drops, and withdrawals)
    Any changes to your schedule after your certification has been submitted may impact your eligibility and could result in loss of funds.

Types of VA Educational Benefits

Students utilizing GI Bill® VA Benefits may qualify for provisions as dictated under the Veterans Benefits and Transitions Act of 2018, Section 3679 of title 38, United State Code, Section 103. In order to qualify for such provisions, a student must have:

  • Produced proof of eligibility of entitlement to education assistance (e.g Certificate of Eligibility; Statement of Benefits) no later than the first day of classes in which he or she wishes to use entitlement to educational assistance.
  • Submitted a certification request form to the SCO.

For qualifying individuals, MPCC will not prevent their enrollment; require a student to secure alternative or additional funding; deny access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution; or assess a late penalty fee (this does not include late fees accrued on room and board charges, if applicable).

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

For information on benefits and eligibility visit VA Comparison Tool/Payment Rates

Post-9/11 GI Bill®  (Chapter 33)

Typically for individuals who served at least 90 days active duty after 9/10/2001. Benefits tiered based on days of active service. Pays tuition and fees directly to the institution.

Post-9/11 Transfer of Entitlement (Chapter 33)

For immediate family members of career service members. Member must request approval to transfer benefits to eligible person then the student must apply through the VA to receive the benefits. Tuition and fees payment made to the school.

Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30)

For individuals who began active duty after 6/30/1985 and had pay reduced by $100 a month for the first 12 months. EFT payment made to students who must pay their bill with MPCC.

Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

For dependents of a member of the Armed Forces who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-connected disability or is 100% disabled for a service-related reason. EFT payment made to students who must pay their bill with MPCC.

Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

For members actively participating in Select Reserve. Basic eligibility requires a 6-year obligation to serve. Benefits paid to reservist directly on a monthly basis.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)

For active members of the Selected Reserve called to active duty on or after 9/11/01 who served at least 90 consecutive days. Program ends 11/24/2019.

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

For veterans with a disability rating, please contact Jennifer Singer ( or Sally MacNeill ( for more information.

Nebraska Department of Veterans’ Affairs Waiver of Tuition Program

Nebraska residents qualifying for Chapter 35 Benefits may also qualify for a tuition waiver that would pay for all tuition and fees. Go to the Nebraska Department of Veteran Services Waiver Tuition Program webpage for more information on this program and the student portion of the application.

In-state Tuition and Fees for U.S. Military Veterans

MPCC offers in-state tuition for veterans, their spouses, and legal dependents who currently reside or show intent to reside in Nebraska according to Board Policy 5130 and the Nebraska Statute 85-502 through 85-502.01.