GAP Assistance Program

Do you need a new skill to compete for your dream job? MPCC’s GAP Assistance Program may be just what you are looking for.

GAP Assistance is Funding for short-term training for in-demand jobs!

GAP funding offers financial aid to

    • community college students enrolled in credit or non-credit programs that are not eligible for Pell grants or enrolled in programs leading directly into a degree.
    • community college students enrolled in courses which lead to employment in these in-demand occupations:
        • Financial services
        • Transportation, warehousing, and distribution logistics
        • Precision metals manufacturing
        • Biosciences
        • Renewable energy
        • Agriculture and food processing
        • Business management and administrative services
        • Software and computer services
        • Research, development, and engineering services
        • Health services
        • Hospitality and tourism
        • Construction
        • Education
        • Any other industry designated as an in-demand occupation by the committee


To qualify for GAP Assistance, applicants must:

  1. have a family income at or below 250% of federal poverty guidelines (this would include a spouse's income if the applicant is married)
  2. be a resident of Nebraska
  3. be a citizen of the United States or a qualified alien under the federal Immigration and Nationality Act

Expenses Covered

Low-income students who comply with financial requirements will receive grants that will pay for expenses directly related to the assessment, training, and testing associated with GAP eligible and approved programs.

The following are examples of expenses covered:

  • Full/Partial Tuition
  • Required Books/Equipment
  • Industry Testing Fees - certification exam

Steps to Apply

To apply for GAP Assistance, please complete the following steps:

  1. Complete the GAP Application
  2. Provide a copy of your most recent 1040 tax document. If you are married, this should be a joint form. If it is not a joint form a 1040 tax document for both applicant and spouse are required.
  3. Provide a copy of most recent pay stub(s). If married, include copy(s) of pay stubs for your spouse as well.
  4. Mail paperwork to:

Mid-Plains Community College
Attn: Sharon Kircher
1205 East 3rd Street
McCook, NE 69001

Program Requirements

The following are program requirements for all GAP programs. Depending on the program you enroll in, there may be additional requirements.

  • Maintain regular contact with the instructor of your program throughout the course
  • Sign necessary releases to provide relevant information to college faculty, if applicable
  • Attend all class sessions
  • Complete surveys when requested by Mid-Plains Community College

For More Information:

Sharon Kircher, MPCC GAP Coordinator
Fax: (308) 345-8180 (ATTN: Sharon Kircher)

For more information on the Community College Gap Assistance Program visit: