The Diesel Technology Program provides training in engine design and overhaul, electrical systems, air brake systems, pneumatic and hydraulic systems, diesel fuel and control systems, transmissions and axles, and metals and welding.
Students have the option of an Associate of Applied Science Degree or certificates (Basic Engine & Electrical, Powertrain, Fuel Systems, and Diesel Technology).
What's New in Diesel
Diesel technology: the possibilities are endless
It's not just trucks, tractors, power units or locomotives. Students who enroll in the Diesel Technology Program at North Platte Community College have an unlimited number of options available to them after they graduate. It all comes down to whether they want to stay close to home or see the world.
- Demonstrate knowledge of hazards and related safety practices associated with diesel mechanics.
- Perform tasks related to entry-level employment in the diesel technology field.
- Demonstrate an understanding of personal and work characteristics that contribute to an effective job performance.
- Use communication skills appropriate to diesel mechanics.
- Apply the theory of diesel mechanics to specific jobs using critical thinking/reasoning and the ability to work independently.
Use mathematical data and reasoning skills in relation to diesel mechanics.
A variety of employment opportunities includes diesel service departments, independent repair shops, factory representative or private ownership of a repair business. Industries employing diesel technicians include, but are not limited to, railroad, trucking, agriculture, and lumber. Government agencies and the military also offer employment opportunities.
Gainful Employment Information
Diesel Technology Diploma
Recommended General Education Requirements
BSAD 1100 Personal Finance
ENGL 1040 Basic Technical Communication
SPCH 1090 Fundamentals of Human Communication
Appropriate Business or Computer Course
Appropriate Math Course
DSLT 1005 Safety is a prerequisite for all Diesel Technology classes, except night classes.|