Mid-Plains Community College offers a Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Training Program to provide students with the skills and experience to begin a career in HVAC/R services.
What's New in HVAC/R
As a growing global enterprise,
HVAC/R schools and HVAC/R services are a necessity in order for comfortable and safe existence in residential, commercial and industrial buildings on a day-to-day basis. There is a rise in the need for skilled HVAC/R Training to provide efficient climate control and maintenance whether in the personal or occupational setting.
The Associate of Applied Science in Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Technology degree from Mid-Plains Community College prepares students for skilled positions installing and servicing heating and cooling systems. Students receive intensive training in labs to apply lecture material to practical situations. An Associate of Applied Science Degree, a 44-credit hour Diploma or Certificates (Furnace, Heat Pump, or Air Conditioning) are options available to the students. As part of the Degree program, students may participate in a summer internship with local HVAC/R employers to receive valuable on-the-job training. As demands for
grows more technically and technologically complex, our HVAC/R training classes
are designed to prepare students to work with modern, state-of-the-art
- Demonstrate knowledge of electrical hazards and related safety practices.
- Possess the knowledge and skills to perform entry level employment in the HVAC/R field.
- Demonstrate an understanding of personal and work characteristics that contribute to effective job performance.
- Use effective communication skills appropriate to the HVAC/R industry.
- Apply the theory of HVAC/R to specific jobs using reasoning/critical thinking and the ability to work independently.
- Use mathematical/technical data in relation to the HVAC/R field.
- Be prepared to pass the EPA Certification Exam for Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Technicians.
- You have the option of acquiring an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC), or obtaining a 44-credit hour HVAC Diploma or HVAC Certificates in Furnace, Heat Pump, or Air Conditioning.
HVAC/R Technology Diploma
HVACR Training Diploma is intended for students who want hands-on skills and job knowledge for service and installation employment. Students will complete the required courses for the fall, spring, and summer terms of the HVAC training program for a total of 44 semester credit hours. Students seeking the Diploma option should plan on a maximum of 8 credit hours for internships for this award.
Internships are an option for this program. A student may take additional electives instead of an internship.
MPCC offers three different
HVAC/R Certifications: Furnace Certificate, Air Conditioning Certificate, and Heat Pump Certificate. These provide limited educational opportunity to enhance a student's skill and ability in each specialty area by completing the required classes for each area.
Gainful Employment Information
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Technology Diploma
Courses from building construction, business, electronics, electrical, welding/machine shop and other HVAC-related courses may be approved as electives by the advisor.
Graduates from the HVAC training program may be employed by contractors in the field or operate their own business.
NOTE: HVAC 1005 Safety is a prerequisite for all HVAC classes, except night classes.