Associate of General Studies

Mid-Plains Community College offers the Associate of Arts, Science, and General Studies degrees for students intending to complete a baccalaureate degree at an upper-division institution.

MPCC college advisors assist students wishing to transfer using specially developed transfer guides specific to the declared major and the receiving college.


Get Started Now!

Choose from the options below to get started and be sure to let us know what you are looking for at MPCC.
Don't Worry! MPCC respects your privacy; we will never share your information with a third party.

Request Info
   Degree Details

Going on to a Four Year University

Most four-year colleges will accept up to 60 semester credit hours of freshman- and sophomore level credits earned at a community college and require at least a "C" in each course transferred. At the initial advisory session, the student and advisor will plan a course of study to enable students to meet these requirements.

Students should obtain a personal copy of the catalog from the transfer institution. This publication is usually available from the admissions office of the receiving institution for a nominal charge. It is the student's responsibility to become familiar with all pertinent transfer requirements.

In some cases, completing the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or Associate of General Studies degree at MPCC satisfies the general education requirements at the freshman and sophomore levels at transfer institutions. Students should identify a possible major at the receiving institution in order to begin the appropriate sequence of courses needed to complete their baccalaureate degrees in a timely fashion. It is important that students wishing to complete a BA or BS degree in four years complete lower-division prerequisites at MPCC before enrolling in upper-division courses at the transfer institution. If prerequisites are postponed, enrollment in advanced courses and eventual graduation from the transfer institution is likely to be delayed.

When possible, students should meet with a representative from the transfer institution to discuss a program of study. After transfer, students will be assigned advisors at the receiving institution. If students are not assigned an advisor at the receiving institution, they should seek to obtain one. If students encounter any difficulty in transferring courses, assistance should be requested from the Vice President for Educational Services and Student Development.

NOTE: Currently the University of Nebraska at Kearney requires twelve credit hours of Writing Intensive classes and six credit hours of Cultural Diversity classes. In order to help UNK transfer students fulfill some of those requirements, a number of MPCC courses have been selected to comply with UNK's Writing Intensive (WI) and Cultural Diversity (CD) components. MPCC courses will be designated in the MPCC schedule with a (WI) or (CD) after the course number. UNK will accept six credit hours each of WI and CD classes from MPCC.